niedziela, 15 marca 2015

Am I a runner? #Netty


The Spenborough Athletics Club was taken by storm (of discontent) by the running community on Facebook and Twitter last Sunday, as Netty Edwards, one of the participants in the Spen's annual 20-mile road race, was pulled off by a marshal only 1.5 miles in for 'running too slow'. At 12 minute mile pace, Netty was actually doing fine for a 20-miler...or wasn't she?

Come to think about it, I am no better than Netty. At 5:2'23'' my marathon time qualifies me to be pulled off track for running too slow. And I'm a 25-year old, and at at 5'4" I'm a healthy weight of approx. 115 Ibs...(so much about me as a matter of introduction :) ) So I really look up to girls like Netty who need to go an extra mile to compete at that pace!


Hold on a sec, so why am I going that slow? And why the heck am I taking part in races, if I'll obviously land at the bottom of the K20 list?

Well, there's more to running (and even racing!) than just results.

Dear marshals of #Spen20, some of us run for fun! Some of us run to test themselves. Some of us run to face their inner demons.

Chasing a PB is not something I'm interested in. I don't mind closing the list (or even the race, although that hasn't happened yet), as long as I can enjoy the atmosphere and meet like-minded people. Racing is fun, going to a distant location and packing in those 13.1 or 23.6 miles is certainly worth it. It shows me that, yes, #thisgirlcan.

I was a very outdoorsy kid (football, swimming, skiing, ice-skating, hockey...you name it) but I neglected sports a bit (well, a lot) at college and took a real beating at Uni and my first job. Before I knew it, I began crumbling under pressure. I hadn't a clue sports plays such an important role in maintaining not only physical, but also mental health. Until one day...I just got out for a run. At first maybe with the intention of shaping up a bit, but then my attitude to running gradually changed – it became a substitute therapy for the pressure I couldn't quite cope with that well earlier.

And as my mileage increased, I began to cope better and better. I learnt to let things go and – when I was stressed - take it out on the asphalt rather than myself. 

Four years after I first started running regularly, I decided to take part in my first marathon. At that time I had no idea what a 'good' marathon pace was. No idea, in fact, about running whatsoever.

But as I started taking more interest, I realised there was a lot of pressure in that too...pressure I wasn't happy to invite into my world now that I had successfully made running my pressure-coping strategy!

I began to question whether – at an average pace of 10 to 12 minute mile - I am a runner at all. But after a few failed attempts at 'starting to train properly' I stumbled (pun intended) upon a really good article (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-sabotaging-your-own-life-without-knowing-it/) and finally asked myself whether I really wanted to compete with other runners and whether results were really so important to me. And the answer to both was a clear and straightforward 'no'.

I have finished my marathon within an unimpressive time of five hours and two halves at equally unimpressive 2:26'. I still run regularly, whenever I need, at a pace I find comfortable. And running is still something that helps me cope with stress without stressing me out.
So - to all that doubt in themselves - if you run, you are a runner! 

Support Netty with a few warm words...or follow the story @ ...#Netty at #Spen20 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz